Bumisuka.com – Hydrotherapy Is A Method Of Therapy With Water. Water has various health benefits. In some cases, water therapy can be an effective way to treat some health problems, such as joint or muscle pain.
Therapy using water is also known as aquatic therapy, water therapy, hydrotherapy, or hydropathy. This type of therapy has various types and benefits. What are they and how are they available in Indonesia? Come on, see the explanation below.
1. What is hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy or hydrotherapy is a method of treatment using water that can treat various health problems. Hydrotherapy can be as simple as bathing using warm water or using a special pool.
Water therapy can use warm water or cold water, with varying pressure and current depending on the treatment being performed. The main goal of hydrotherapy is to relieve physical and mental health problems.
2. Types of hydrotherapy
Hydrotherapy has different types. Doctors, physical therapists, or alternative health practitioners will provide advice on the type of hydrotherapy that is suitable for the health problems you are experiencing.
Reported by Medical News Today, here are several types of hydrotherapy:
- Water exercises: Water exercises are a type of low impact physical activity. This type of hydrotherapy is generally performed in a swimming pool with special equipment. The North American Journal of Medical Science states that this type of exercise is suitable for people with arthritis or fibromyalgia.
- Warm baths: Soaking in a warm bath is a form of hydrotherapy. You can add salt and minerals, essential oils, or other ingredients to maximize this therapy.
- Sitting bath: Sitz bath or hip bath is a therapy that is performed by soaking the body from the hips to the bottom of the body. This therapy can be done with warm or cold water. Sitz baths are generally used to treat problems in the anal or genital area.
- Water circuit therapy: Water circuit therapy or contrast hydrotherapy is a type of water therapy that combines several types of hydrotherapy. This type of therapy generally involves alternating between warm and cold water to improve circulation and help relieve symptoms.
3. The benefits of hydrotherapy
People with certain conditions may benefit from hydrotherapy with a customized type of therapy. According to the Cleveland Clinic, hydrotherapy can provide symptomatic relief to people with the following conditions:
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Nervous pain.
- Ankylosing spondylitis.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Cerebral palsy.
Keep in mind that hydrotherapy cannot cure these diseases. You still have to take medication or do treatment recommended by a doctor. In most cases, hydrotherapy can help relieve pain, stiffness, and swelling.
4. Risks of hydrotherapy
Like any therapy, hydrotherapy comes with some risks, including:
- Slip, fall or other accidents.
- Burns or frostbite (from extreme heat or cold).
If you are interested in trying hydrotherapy, make sure this service provider is a trusted institution. Avoid therapies that claim to remove toxins or cure disease.
These claims have not been proven in scientifically verifiable studies and are often untrue and can be dangerous. Hydrotherapy is not a curative treatment which means it will not cure or get rid of your condition.
5. Availability of hydrotherapy in Indonesia
Hydrotherapy is a method that is not foreign to Indonesia. You can find this therapy service in big cities, for example in Jakarta.
Recently, RSUD Drs. H. Amri Tambunan Deli Serdang has just collaborated with Ariston Thermo Indonesia to present a hydrotherapy pool. This pool measures 6 x 3 meters with a depth of 150 cm for adults and 80 cm for children.
This collaboration presents the AR-Series Heatpump Water Heater (AR-20STP) to meet the needs of the hydrotherapy pool’s warm water. This facility consists of two types, namely Residental and Commercial Series. The two facilities differ in the circulation pump to circulate the heated water.
Hydrotherapy can be used to treat various health problems, such as joint pain, bone pain, including cerebral palsy. Keep in mind that this therapy is used to treat symptoms and should be supervised by a professional.